The Pro-Life Movement in America

This is a life-history interview and ethnographic study of the pro-life movement in the United States. My main interest has been explaining how some individuals become mobilized into the movement while demographically and attitudinally similar individuals do not. Based on this research, I have developed a model of individual social movement mobilization that I believe is generalizable to many social movements beyond the pro-life movement.

The Making of Pro-life Activists: How Social Movement Mobilization Works (Morality and Society Series)


The bulk of my findings from this research are available in my book, The Making of Pro-life Activists: How Social Movement Mobilization Works (2008: University of Chicago Press).





Several more specific findings, specifically about the relationship between religion and the pro-life movement, in other books.  The chapter I wrote for Everyday Religion: Observing Modern Religious Lives (2007, Oxford University Press) examines the polysemy of religious ritual and social movement activity. My contribution to the volume Taking Faith Seriously (2005, Harvard University Press) analyzes the ideological tensions present within the movement.

Taking Faith SeriouslyEveryday Religion: Observing Modern Religious Lives

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist D' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP